Issues with access to the services

We got reports from some users who signed up to our website but can not connect to any service

• Matrix/Mastodon/XMPP. If this is also affecting you, try resetting your password on the main site and the issue might be resolved.

Ah, I thought this was the issue I was experiencing. I almost decided on not creating my account with an email recovery address, so I’m glad I did.

But then noticed the service hasn’t launched yet.

It will be really neat to see how the list of services progresses with other more popular Fediverse server types added later, such as PeerTube, Soapbox, or Friendica. I saw that Pixelfed and SIP are on the roadmap too, with the latter being a particularly exciting offering.

It would be nice to see some of the details of standards support for the XMPP service on the website, i.e., it’s suitability for various things such as OMEMO and moreover, robust social networking platforms like Movim.

The whole beta ‘Groups’ thing is a bit much for my desires however, and I didn’t see BAT as an available currency even though it was listed on the main page. I wouldn’t mind sending a few XLM or a bit of ZEC, while NANO and SOL are also super cheap, fast, and might also be desirable to support for folks who have an aversion to ETH.

The whole infra looks nice and I’m sure it will only get better once more communication choices are available to sweeten the attraction. The only thing that gives me any skepticism is that you’ve been in preview mode for a full two years already, but I’ll check back every month or so, looking forward to the launch of your production service.

I’m especially in checking out the VoIP services :slight_smile:

:sailboat:

Hey, and I am so sorry for not responding before. There’s a lot of good feedback in here, let me see what I can respond.

You are right that the site is in “Soft Launch” mode for too long. Part of it is due to the fact that yours was the first message indicating interest in SIP, and the few users that signed up were mostly happy with Matrix/Mastodon. The other reason for it is simply that I got involved with other projects in 2021 onwards, so haven’t had the time since then to add more features or to do extensive development.

Re: other cryptocurrencies. Yes, I want to add other blockchains. That is also somewhat aligned with other work on Hub20, where I am also making changes to work multiple payment networks (it now can potentially support other blockchains and even centralized exchanges). I’d consider Moreno as a next target, but XLM might also be a good candidate.

Re: documentation of standard compliance of our services. You have a good point. My plan is to ensure that we are keeping up with the yearly updates of recommended XEPs. I haven’t communicated that well, mostly because I was more focused on reaching out to users who are not so technical and merely want a simple alternative to the major messengers. My reasoning was that most technical people would be self-hosting themselves, so communick should focus on simple that helps users onboarding.

In relation to VoIP… are you looking for something that can integrate with phone networks as well, or merely the possibility of making SIP calls?