How to be approved for our Lemmy instance

Due to the excessive number of bots that are trying to signup to Lemmy instances, I won’t be able to keep registrations open. Yet, I still want to make good on the promise to give free access to 250 people as a way to help those that want to escape Reddit.

Given that, for now, I will ask for candidates to send me a private message on Reddit (/u/rglullis) and if your account is old enough, I will accept your application if I can see a good participation history.

Alternatively, you can do the following:

• Submit an application to join on Lemmy.
  • Reach out to our matrix support channel. If you don’t have a matrix account, sign up to communick and you will have 14 days free trial.
  • In the Matrix channel, please tell me the username that you used to sign up on Communick News. If you want to keep it private, you can hash it with SHA1.

I understand that this is a lot of work, but unfortunately the bots are getting a bit smarter. The use of AI tools to (cheaply) generate combinations of compelling application texts + the amount of public information about the instance) can make it easy for bot developers to “spray-and-pray” the fediverse.

The only solutions that I can think of unfortunately will require either (a) some form of escrow or (b) make users jump through some more hoops.